I’ve started back up working on my winter coat. I gave up on it last fall after I finished sewing most of the coat together and found that the Thinsulate lining I had added for warmth made me look like the Pillsbury Doughboy! I had to take the entire thing apart and remove all of the too-puffy material. (Oh yes, that would be after I hand-basted every piece together before sewing!).
I used Vogue pattern #8626 as my starting point but altered a few design details;
- changed the collar to a very tall (and hopefully warm) stand-up style
- and lowered the back empire seam to be at the waistline
- added a belt at the waist
The fabric is a very soft wool in black and I added a shocking-pink lining. To give it some “pop”! Here’s a photo of the pink lining and the facing…getting ready for its pressing.
I’ve just got a few steps remaining:
- finish pressing up the hem
- hand-stitching the lining along the hem
- adding buttonholes
- sewing on the buttons
- making the belt
I’ll post the finished pics later this weekend.